These are the most frequently asked questions.
- What is the date of the 2021 Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon?
The 2021 Event will be held the weekend of October 2-3, 2021.
- What time do the races start?
The 2021 event will have a slightly different schedule than previous years. The Covenant Kids Run will take place start 4:30 pm on Saturday. The 5K will start at 6:00 pm on Saturday. The marathon, half marathon, and relays will start 7:30 am on Sunday.
- When can I register for the Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon?
Online Registration is now open. Click here to register today!
- If I register for the full marathon, can I change to the half marathon?
Yes. You can manage your options through your Runsignup account.
- If I register for the half marathon, can I change to the full marathon?
Yes. You can manage your options, including any additional payment, through your Runsignup account.
- I can’t make it to packet pickup in time. Can someone pickup my packet for me?
We encourage you to come pick up your own packet and enjoy the wonderful Health & Fitness Expo. But, if you can’t make it during the hours of 9-8 on Saturday, someone else can pick up your packet by showing a photocopy of YOUR picture ID.
- Is the marathon a qualifier for the Boston Marathon?
Yes, the course has been certified as a qualifer for the Boston Marathon. The full marathon’s USATF Certification number is TN19006MS.
- Is the course very hilly?
The course has some hills, particularly in the first half of the marathon. It is not terribly hilly though. You can see a course profile in the race information page. The total elevation change is not dramatic, but there are not very many miles that are just flat.
- Is there a course elevation profile available?
Yes. Click here to view.
- What type of sports drink will be available on the course?
Every runner refreshment station will be stocked with Gatorade. There will be 18 stations on the marathon course, 8 for the half marathon, and 1 for the 5k.
- Does the race provide transportation for relay runners?
No. All relay participants will be responsible for their own transportation to and from relay exchange points.
- Can I wear headphones during the race?
Yes, our insurance policy through the USATF allows headphones. Please, however, be careful, keeping in mind both your own safety and the safety of the participants around you. Also, keep in mind that we recruit 30 bands and the Party Boys DJ Show to play at locations on the course. There’s plenty of music out there!
- Can I walk any of the races?
As a registered participant, you are welcome to walk in any of the races. The police and volunteers will roll the course up at a 16 min/mile pace; if you were to fall behind this pace, you may continue at your own risk. And we do ask that walkers please start toward the back of the pack.
- Will there be an early start for walkers?
No separate start for walkers. All participants, whether running or walking, will begin at the planned race start times. If you plan to walk, we ask that you start near the back for your safety and that of the runners. Thank you.
- When and where is packet pickup?
All packet pickup will be at the Health & Fitness Expo on Saturday, October 2, from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. The Expo will be held at the World’s Fair Festival Lawn (963 World’s Fair Park Drive). Packets will not be mailed and there is no Sunday packet pickup.
- Where should I eat when in town for the marathon?
Good question. We have a number of Knoxville’s finest restaurants to suggest. See our list of Preferred Dining Partners.